Care and Maintenance for Orthodontic Appliances
Braces Care Melbourne CBD
Whether you wear metal, ceramic or lingual braces, you need to know how to look after them.
If you care for your braces properly, it will make them much more comfortable and effective, meaning you’re one step closer to a perfect smile every day!
So what can you be doing to make sure you’re keeping your oral health in check while you’re wearing braces?
How to Take Care of Braces
Before you start enjoying the treats you love, you will need to take extra care to avoid any foods that could damage your braces.
Foods to avoid while wearing braces:
- Chewy foods — bagels, licorice, hard rolls
- Crunchy foods — popcorn, chips, ice
- Sticky foods — caramel, chewing gum
- Hard foods — hard candies, nuts
- Foods that need biting into — apples, carrots, corn on the cob
Foods you CAN eat while wearing braces:
- Dairy — soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Bread — soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins
- Grains — soft cooked rice, pasta
- Meats/poultry — soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafoods — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits — applesauce, bananas, fruit juices
- Treats — ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, soft cake
Tips for Braces Care
Wearing braces is no excuse to slack on oral hygiene!
Here are tips to keep your teeth and gums healthy while wearing braces:
Brush carefully. Don’t let food get stuck between your braces. Use a soft-bristled brush to remove debris from your teeth, brackets and wires.
Brush in between your brackets. Use an interdental brush to clean the spaces between your teeth and braces wires.
Don’t forget to floss. Floss under the wires of your braces.
Flossing every day is important when wearing braces.
Stay on top of your appointments. Make sure to visit your Melbourne CBD dentist for regular follow-ups, cleanings, and exams.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I need to wear my braces?
Treatment time will depend on the extent of the orthodontic problem, its severity and the type of braces. In general, the treatment time may last from 12 to 30 months.
Do I need to visit the dentist even while wearing braces?
Absolutely! Going to your Melbourne CBD dentist for your regular dental check-ups and scale and cleans will help you avoid tooth decay, gum disease and other oral health problems. It’s more important than ever when you’re wearing braces.