Preventing Tooth Decay
Tooth Decay Treatment Melbourne CBD
Tooth decay is damage to the teeth, which can potentially result in cavities, dental abscesses, or even tooth loss. It is caused by bacteria in plaque.
Bacteria can convert the sugars in your food into acids. If plaque is allowed to build up, these acids can begin damaging your teeth.
This is why proper oral hygiene is an important part of preventing tooth decay.
Symptoms of Tooth Decay
The signs and symptoms of cavities depend on their severity and location. When a cavity is in its early stage, you may not have any symptoms at all.
As the decay gets larger, it may cause signs and symptoms including:
- Toothache, abrupt pain or pain without any apparent cause
- Mild to sharp pain when consuming sweet, acidic, hot or cold foods and drinks
- Tooth sensitivity
- Visible holes in your teeth
- Brown, black or white stains on any surface of a tooth
- Pain when biting down
Treatment for Tooth Decay
There are many treatments for tooth decay. Which treatment you get depends on the extent and location of the problem:
If you have early-stage tooth decay, a fluoride treatment can help the enamel to repair itself.
If you have a cavity, your Melbourne CBD dentist will remove the decayed tooth tissue and then restore the tooth with tooth fillings.
Root Canal Treatment
If there’s damage to the tooth and/or infection spreads to the pulp, you might need a root canal treatment.
Your Melbourne CBD dentist will remove the decayed pulp and clean inside the tooth and root. The tooth will be filled with a temporary filling. You will need to return to get a permanent filling or a crown.
When the damage to the pulp cannot be repaired, your dentist may pull the tooth.
Your Melbourne CBD dentist will suggest that you get a dental implant or bridge to replace the missing tooth. Otherwise, the teeth next to the gap may move and change your bite.
Tooth Decay Treatment in Melbourne CBD
If you would like to learn more about tooth decay and its treatments, please call us today to schedule a consultation with Art De Dente. Our dental practice serves patients from Melbourne CBD and the surrounding areas.
We are located at Level 17, 190 Queen Street in Melbourne CBD.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is tooth decay?
How can I prevent tooth decay?
Prevent tooth decay by following these tips:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Clean between your teeth daily using floss or an interdental cleaner.
- Maintain a teeth-friendly and balanced diet and limit snacking.
- Check with your Melbourne CBD dentist about the use of fluoride supplements, which strengthens your teeth, and about the use of fissure sealants applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to protect them from decay.
- Visit your Melbourne CBD dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral examinations.
When do I need to see a dentist?
You may not be fully aware that a cavity is starting to form. That’s why it is important to have regular dental check-ups and cleanings, even when your mouth feels fine.
If you experience a toothache, see your Melbourne CBD dentist as soon as possible.