World No Tobacco Day 2021 in Melbourne CBD: Commit to Quit!
World No Tobacco Day is celebrated around the world every year on May 31.
This yearly celebration aims to support people in their attempt to give up tobacco through various initiatives and digital solutions.
Quitting can be very difficult, especially with the added social and economic stress that has come, but there are a lot of reasons to quit.
Here are the top 5 effects of smoking on oral health:
#1 Gum Disease
Without proper treatment, your gums and the tissues around your teeth can become irritated and recede away from the teeth.
The bacteria in plaque is most often the culprit for infection.
- Tobacco is a guilty party as smokers who smoke 1.5 packs per day are 6 times more likely to have gum disease than non-smokers.
- Smoking limits blood vessel growth, which slows the healing process for damaged gums.
- Fortunately, smokers that quit can return their risk of gum disease to that of a non-smoker in about 11 years.
#2 Oral Cancer
More than 28 cancer-causing chemicals are found in smokeless tobacco.
Chewing tobacco and using other tobacco products can cause cancer in the cheeks, gums, and lips.
#3 Delayed Healing
Smoking slows down blood flow throughout your oral cavity and thus, delays the healing process.
Because of this, simple dental procedures become more complicated:
- Dental implants would have a higher chance to fail
- Tooth extraction site would be more prone to infection
- Gum disease treatment would be less effective
#4 Stained Teeth
The biggest sources of teeth stains are food (coffee, red wine, etc.) and tobacco. The first is fine in moderation. Tobacco, however, is not.
Nicotine and tar found in cigarettes are doing the staining — from your hands and walls in your home to your teeth.
Visit your Melbourne CBD dentist today for a teeth whitening procedure.
#5 Bad Breath
Habitual smoking can leave a residual tobacco smell, but bacteria build-up can also cause bad breath or halitosis.
Quit Smoking Today!
Consult your Melbourne CBD dentist to create a quitting plan that’s best for you and your oral health.
Our Teeth Whitening Promotions in Melbourne CBD
*normally valued at $350
We are located at Level 17, 190 Queen Street in Melbourne CBD.